Wednesday, June 15, 2011

South Dakota Trip Days Three and Four: Mt. Rushmore,Wind Cave, Sylvan Lake, Crazy Horse

Despite the very long title, they seemed to go by pretty fast. Means I had fun, right? Slightly out of order, we hit Sylvan Lake, Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave, and Crazy Horse among other landmarks we stopped by. Here are the select pictures I chose from those.

Poor McKinley has very slippery hands and we just couldn't hang on tight enough . . .


We slightly abandoned the Nanas to go climb up a bunch of rocks and up here. It was pretty fun.


Mount Rushmore! It's really cool to look at in person. The tons and tons and tons of rock they blew off the mountain are all still there, right under the mountain. Amazing.


Bison jam! Did you know that there really is a difference between Bison and Buffalo? Neither did we until they made me Google it.


This is us in wind cave, a remarkable three layer cave system. Discovered in the late 1800's, nearly 200 miles of known length, this is only 5% explored. I find that to be unfathomable.


60 years of construction and the only thing they have so far of the statue of Crazy Horse is the face. It's remarkable. I've decided that it probably won't be finished in my lifetime. (Click on it to get a larger view if you can't see the face)



Well, we ended up staying 12.5 hours locked in a car, and once we finally got to the Nana's and McKinley's house, I was still 4 hours from home. Lucky me. Anyway, it's nice to be home and blog where's there's actual Wi-fi. I'll be leaving to drive even further west to Colorado on Saturday though, so I might as well enjoy it while I can.

Beat Portal and Portal 2! Just a side note in the world of computer games.

- The Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment